spoon

Black Current Tea Ice Cream

Category: ,

I'm having a hard time writing this post in between spoonfuls of ice cream. I don't have much to say besides, YUM! You must try this! Make this soon! And be careful not to mistaken the ice cream base for tea and drink it before you churn it!

Tea Infused Milk/Cream
Custard
Strained Custard
After Freezing 2 1/2 Hours
I never think to use tea for anything other than, well, drinking tea. Boy, have I been missing out! Black currant tea is one of my favorites varieties, and the flavor it imparts in this ice cream is divine! I need to think about other ways to infuse the flavor into treats.

In the meantime, I hope I don't eat too much ice cream to keep me from sleeping tonight... But if I do, I'll just have an excuse to whip up another batch!

Here is what you'll need:
  • 1 cup whole milk (I used 2% and it was still very creamy!)
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup black current tea leaves
  • 5 large egg yolks
In a saucepan over medium-low heat, warm milk, 1 cup of cream, sugar and tea leaves. Once warmed, remove from heat, cover and set aside to steep for 1 hour.

Warm milk mixture again over medium-low heat.

Whisk egg yolks in another mixing bowl. Slowly add warm milk mixture to egg yolks, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan. Heat saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.

Pour remaining cream into a large mixing bowl. Place a mesh strainer over bowl. Pour custard through the strainer. Gently press tea leaves to strain out all the liquid.

Make an ice bath of ice and water in another large mixing bowl. Place bowl of custard into the ice bath. Stir custard over ice bath until cooled. Place custard in the refrigerator to chill completely.

Churn the custard in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Source: Perfect Scoop

Comment (1)

I've had tea flavored ice cream before and it was so good!